How to read a business book.
This week I have been asked how to obtain key information from a business book quickly.
This is how to do it.
- 1 – Make sure it is a subject you are interested in.
- 2 – Look at the chapter index and pick out a chapter that hits you as very interesting.
- 3 – Go to that chapter first and with your index finger speed down, scanning the words.
- 4 – With a yellow highlighter pen. Mark anything you find interesting.
- 5 – Remember speed stuns. You go fast so you don’t get distracted.
- 6 – Do this for around 20 minutes, no more unless you are really motivated. You should have covered about 40 pages in this time or even more. In a well-set-out book that might be two or three chapters
- 7 – Put the book down and mark it where you are with a post-it. And perhaps put on the front of the book up to three takeaways that you have picked up so far.
- 8 – If the book hasn’t hit your hot spots by then. Leave it for a month and see if you are motivated to go back to it. If you aren’t don’t.
ADDITIONAL TIPS ON SPEED READING
- 1 – Set a goal to speed read and increase your speed by up to three times.
- 2 – Use your index finger to focus your eyes on the words and page as you speed across it.
- 3 – Test your speed here at www.readingsoft.com
- 4 – Remember psychologists assure us the faster we read the more we take in.
Because we focus 100%, don’t get distracted and get that annoying head chatter.
Try it if you are on a train. The momentum can be really powerful.
It works for me. Try it, it will work for you. If you believe it will.
THOMAS EDISON SAID IT
“If you think you can or you can’t you are probably right”.Thomas Edison
For Win-Win – How to get a winning result from Persuasive Negotiating by Derek.