Derek Arden – Negotiating
KEY POINTS OF INTERVIEW
Mr Negotiator talks about Negotiating
Psychological negotiating tactics and you need to watch the body language for the truth.
So best techniques we want to have a competitive edge:
12 steps in my negotiating system which is in my latest book, ‘Win Win‘, – how to get a get a winning result from persuasive negotiations.
Preparation: Where do we think they’re coming from, – where are we coming from – what’s the best position – target position – walk away position that we’ve got. And if we do walk away, what’s the alternative position.
- First Impressions
- Asking good questions – high quality questions.
- Look and Listen, and body language.
- Use head and brainstorming – negotiators frame of mind.
- Reading body language
- Watch for signs of lying
- Negotiating tactics and strategies
- Controlling time
- Deadlines as in Northern Irish negotiations
- Taking a time out to think things through with your team.
- Power of flinching.
- Colombo tactic – just one more thing.
- Influencing skills – work of Robert Cialdini.
- Targeting skills, If we do this for you. What will you do for us?
- Confidence and ready for any curveball
Story Negotiating Meeting in Paris:
£10 million euro transactions We were ready for their delaying tactics –